Decided it was time to post an update to my workshop tour. Inspired by all the other Aussie makers who posted theirs for #aussieworkshops2020
Firstly – thank you to those that supported me in #movember over at http://bit.ly/MQ-Mo I raised $1000 which personally was pretty amazing really. Hopefully next year with lessons learned, better prep, we can hit our goal of $999,999.
The workshop / shed is a bit of a complete mess at the moment with so much tidying to be done after several projects and tools just left stacked on the center table. Plus keep buying new stuff and not putting things away. I know…
Has been an insanely busy 12-18 months. The video stuff was taking up Uni time so needed to readjust there. Plus my work as a teacher’s aid went from 1 day to 3 to 5 days full-time so pretty much everything else got put on hold. Good for $$ and buying new toys though…
A quick project for the workshop: Making a couple of drill bit blocks from some pine timber and using some olive oil to stain it.
I wanted a better solution for my drill bits – the plastic “home DIY” kit thing we bought 15+ years ago has actually done a decent job but it can be a bit fiddly and my olde eyes find it harder to read the numbers on it. Not to mention reading the numbers on the drill bits themselves. Plus it only caters to one of each sized drill bit – not always ideal.
For the video I used some basic pine timber offcuts I picked up at Bunnings for $2. I also used some olive oil to stain the drill blocks. As a “shop project” they probably don’t need finishing – but it was also a good experiment to use some of that timber and see how it came up using the oil as a stain / finish – I thought it looked great!
I’ve been using this now for a few months and it’s been a great addition to the workshop. Certainly helped organising my drill bits and being able to find the right size and special drill bits as needed. Good workshop storage solution.
Cleaning up some old clocks that have been sitting out in the “Fix It Pile” in the shed for a while and came across some batteries that had leaked and corroded the terminals. So I wanted to show how easy it is to clean up and recover items if you have had a leaky battery in them.
(also – as far as I know, vinegar is just vinegar. No need to pay for “brand” on the label. I even found out my IGA is about 1/2 the price of the Coles brand)
The second clock didn’t quite work out – but it’s been pretty dodgy since it was given to us so I was pretty happy to get rid of it finally. So it was edited out and as such made the end a bit odd.
Hang around for the end to get my tips on disposing of old batteries.
Despite what I do / say in the video. When working with leaky batteries and battery acid corrosion – it’s probably not great to get it on your skin etc. Wear gloves / eye protection with this stuff.
The second and final part of the final shelf builds for the studio. Overall really happy with the new storage in the studio room, I guess we have been living with it for a few months now between filming and posting this video and it’s been great to just walk in and find stuff fast.
In part 2 I show the new power boards I found for the room and explain why I picked them over some cheaper ones. The shelf build itself was pretty quick and easy – about 12-15 mins each. We try the supplied wall mount again…. and I show you the better way I worked out for actually attaching the shelves to the wall which was the whole reason for doing another set of shelf videos I think. Finally, we wrap with a look at how the whole project came out and compare to where we started
0:00 Start and new power boards.
4:12 Shelf build (time-lapse most of it)
6:55 Take 2 on using the supplied mount kit – and the clever new bit.
13:45 Review of the shelves and looking around our new space and storage.